asheville art museum board of directors

Pre-purchased online tickets are encouraged; walk-in tickets are also available. It is an age old story. Asheville Symphony Youth Orchestra; Friends of the ASYO; Hip Hop Folktale Project; Music in the Schools; Young People's Concerts; Symphony Talk; MusicWorks; About Us. The Asheville Downtown Association (ADA) has announced the election of new board and executive committee members. From Asheville Watchdog: Trustee who criticized director is ousted from art museum board, Around Town: Literary series will focus on trees, nature in Jewish poetry, Local artists explore symbolism in new exhibit, Local creatives speak to the power of comedy, Green in brief: Conserving Carolina to expand Bracken Mountain Preserve, From AVL Watchdog: Information about holiday water failures is trickling out, as Asheville officials meet in private, Council to vote on water review committee Jan. 10, Deadline to submit writing & art for Xpress Kids Issues approaching, From Asheville Watchdog: City Council, mayor and staff hold closed-door meetings, sowing distrust, Early traffic woes spark updates to Ashevilles trolley system, 1923-24, From CPP: The uncertain future of old-growth forests in North Carolina, part four, City school board OKs Asheville Primary shelter plan, Green in brief: Asheville protects land at Mills River water plant. Contact her at skestin@avlwatchdog.org. I am sad that the place I called my sanctuary and loved being at has been so tarnished. Ousted Trustee Describes Culture of Fear at Asheville Art Museum, Hyperallergic, 11/18/22, https://hyperallergic.com/781084/ousted-trustee-describes-culture-of-fear-at-asheville-art-museum/, Trustee Who Criticized Director Is Ousted from Art Museum Board, Asheville Watchdog, 11/17/22, https://avlwatchdog.org/trustee-ousted-from-museum-board/, Not A Pretty Picture at the Asheville Art Museum, Asheville Watchdog, 11/9/22, https://avlwatchdog.org/not-a-pretty-picture-at-the-asheville-art-museum/. This success can be attributed to the great work the staff did in marketing and administration. This vision fails when it cant provide a sustainable livelihood and psychologically safe workplace environment for its employees. I think well move on with our agenda now. January 23, 2020 GMAT coaching in Chandigarh/Punjab. Answer Man: Where are the street sweepers? Weitzman and the group moved to the first floor, where Myers was standing with trustee Bob Benites. This exhibition presents highlights from the Asheville Art Museums Collection by artists engaging the intaglio printmaking technique of etching in the late 19th and early 20th century. I am a former AAM member, but gave up donating awhile back when the staff turnover showed that the negative work environment was effecting the entire institution. We are sad to announce the passing of Jennifer Elizabeth Gordon of Sylva, North Carolina. It was a pleasure serving with her on the Board the entire time I was on it. But some trustees felt the board should do more, such as hire an administrator to run the day-to-day operations and free Myers to focus on fundraising and larger issues. She said the foundation of the museum was not its collections but rather the people who make the everyday possible. I think this cancel culture has gone so totally out of control, and I think thats exactly what Michelle is dealing with, Zahler said, not recognizing the fact that all the good work that had gone on before, that there was an issue, and because of that, Pam should be canceled. The museum held a member appreciation party Nov. 10, the day after the Watchdogstory appeared. Saenger responded in an Aug. 9 email that while it is important that trustees are informed as to staffing needs, etc., personal details are restricted by state and federal policy.. Celebrated my birthday at the art museum on Monday with 3 generations of family. Thats not common practice. If so, time for a review/investigation to assist the Board in seeing the light? Activities and Societies: graduate assistantship, Dept of Art History, Theory and Criticism news editor F magazine, executive board, Artists of Color United (ACU) Ford Foundation Fellowship (full . See here for our terms of service. Over 35 people have either retired, resigned or been fired in the directors reign. How were these funds stewarded? The board has twice brought in an executive coach in 2015 after six former employees complained about the museum's management to trustees, and again in 2021 after eight other ex-staffers voiced their concerns to Huff and Green. The Museums expansion and renovation project has consisted of different carefully planned phases: renovation/preservation of the North Wing (1926 Pack Library building); demolition work on the Museums East Wing and core; and the construction of the new building and glass faade. What, because I spoke up? she said. The patron was in her face, not me., Were clear, Saenger replied. Thorough and revealing (and entertaining!). Advertising no longer pays the whole cost. He then deferred to trustee Gary Zahler, who joined the virtual meeting late. The patron was in her face, not me., Were clear, Saenger replied. I cautioned you on direct contact with staff, Saenger wrote. Krider said that she was disturbed by what she had read in the Watchdog story. I believe we are on a solid path forward, Click wrote. For as little as $5 a month the cost of a craft beer or kombucha you can help keep local journalism strong. I never heard anyone speak with such divine right, Krider said. She should stick to that. The Asheville Art Museum's facility at 2 South Pack Square. Even though the server responded OK, it is possible the submission was not processed. All voted in favor of removing Weitzman. Thank you for registering!Please visit My Account to verify and manage your account. Youre no longer a volunteer.. He said Weitzman had disrupted board meetings and had inappropriate communications with staff. For what it is worth, my observation is that departmental staff come and go frequently. The Asheville Art Museum's vision is to transform lives through art. Clearly there has been a consistent and ongoing pattern of abuse of volunteers and employees by Ms. Myers, which quite frankly reads like nothing short of a reign of terror .very very bad public relations no matter how magnificent your prized glass edifice there in Pack Square is. Researches Biltmore's fine and decorative art collections and history to support internal and external communications as well as exhibitions, publications, and training and educational materials . This series of stories, with its tone of personal attack, is not helpful, either to the museum or to Asheville Watchdog. Candace Reilly, one of six former employees who complained to the trustees in 2015, told Asheville Watchdog the board had a chance to do the right thing, but chose to support Myers. {{#message}}{{{message}}}{{/message}}{{^message}}Your submission failed. Weitzman and the group moved to the first floor, where Myers was standing with trustee Bob Benites. Chloe O'Laughlin, Harris Publishing. Lewis said Benites intervened, defending Myers. Kate Meehan, Idaho National Laboratory. She was a beloved mother, sister . 2 South Pack Square. Its not even just about the people who work there who were hurt by someones tactics and approach, Krider said. Board of Directors. Lewis said that Myers told her, Now is not the time, but did not say when she would be available to speak. I cant tell you how much I appreciate your support. She makes more than the people running the city government. Contact her at skestin@avlwatchdog.org. The Adult Studio program was popular as all of my classes were filled to overflowing. The board has stood by Myers, 65, largely crediting her with raising $30 million in a capital campaign that spanned well over a decade. This responsibility overrides all styleand This is a serious disincentive for talented people to apply for professional positions at AAM. Our Museum needs us to speak for its health and future, now. There are laws and responsibilities that any board has, especially a board of a not-for-profit entity. I have never experienced someone with so little emotional intelligence and managerial ability. Employee complaints have been a source of discord on the museum board. Watchdog has succeeded spectacularly in offering one side of it. It is a travesty that numerous other board members have long turned a blind eye to the serious, ongoing harm to employees that Ms. Weitzman was asking them to put a stop to. It was just very upsetting to me., Saenger said in the meeting, If youve read Lindsays report or spoken to others, I think its clear this was grossly inappropriate behavior by a trustee And this was in the midst of an event for members in the atrium of the museum., Asheville Watchdog requested the report Saenger referenced and any videotape of the incident. The old powers get nervous and forget decency, all in the name of saving the good work weve done when its actually their own egos theyre defending and their positions of prestige and public notice theyre clinging to. Foundation Directors Warren Stephens, Chair Ben Hussman, Vice-Chair George O'Connor, Treasurer Victoria Ramirez, Secretary John Ed Anthony Terri Erwin Michael Mayton Harriet Stephens She urged her fellow trustees to ask for Myerss resignation and to find a new executive director. The museum held a member appreciation party Nov. 10, the day after the Watchdog story appeared. Need a Consultation? The board has stood by Myers, 65, largely crediting her with raising $30 million in a capital campaign that spanned well over a decade. What are the next steps, people? These are real people whos lives she personally has harmed. Hours + Location. At the board meeting Tuesday, Benites said he was terribly, terribly upset by the incident. The GCMA will continue to be closed while it completes several planned building projects. We need a Museum that supports every person involved in creating and sustaining exhibitions, programs, building its permanent collection, and upholding the institutions mission to engage with all who walk through its great glass doors. Former trustee Michelle Weitzman claims her removal was a retaliatory action by the North Carolina institution's director, Pamela Myers, following an substantial investigation by the . I chalk it up to there being better opportunities for staff elsewhere. All I can say is this is not the museum that I have known and loved for so long.. Weitzman was the only current trustee who agreed to be interviewed for the Watchdoginvestigative story and was quoted saying the museum looks really pretty on the outside. Saenger responded in an Aug. 9 email that while it is important that trustees are informed as to staffing needs, etc., personal details are restricted by state and federal policy.. The Asheville Art Museum has been remodeled since my last visit. Just because a person is adept at fundraising does not make them suited to be an executive director who directly manages (a fluctuating number of) employees. The first floor had minimal art, just some in the lobby and framed photography. The Asheville Art Museum's vision is to transform lives through art, and we welcome all visitors without discrimination. Can I help pay off kids school lunch debts? Zahler mentioned an issue, an apparent reference to employee complaints about Myerss management dating to at least 2015. I hardly said anything. We are the only nonprofit visual arts museum serving all 24 counties in Western North Carolina. Media outlets around the country are asking their readers to chip in. How could they even try with the firewall built around Pam? The letters reveal snippets of daily life at the college, Johnsons experience of his growth as an artist, and early examples of Mail art, a movement that Johnson helped found. In all of my life, Ive never been in a situation where there was such hostility, and I actually felt physically threatened, Benites said. I need to look at some more pleasant after reading this article. But it was Krider, not Weitzman, who confronted Myers in front of board member Robert Benites. Asheville Art Museum The newly renovated Asheville Art Museum at night The Asheville Art Museum is a community-based nonprofit visual art organization in Western North Carolina (WNC) and is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. But we have been updating inside and out, to build on our past and move forward so that we may thrive far into the 21st century. Read more about our Capital Campaign effort. We need ethical and compassionate leadership from the Executive Director and Board. If there are additional episodes of improper staff involvement, I will bring this to the trustees to consider your continuing on the board., On Nov. 14, the day before Tuesdays board meeting, Saenger wrote to Weitzman, In accordance with the bylaws, I am giving you notice that given the inappropriate behavior when you and your companions verbally attacked and intimidated Pam and others at the members event I will request a discussion as to your continuing to serve on the AAM board. New Address: 12710 Research Blvd. A woman Weitzman identified as Lindsay Rosson, director of finance and operations at the museum, removed Kriders wine glass from her hand and asked her to leave, according to Weitzman, Krider and Lewis. Benites said he was terribly distressed by the incident at the party. Given these extreme circumstances and the weight of whats happening inside that museum, it is clear they are continuing to choose one person over the health of the institution, Reilly said. Who would suggest changing her role to focus on what she appears to be good at, and not what she is evidently not good at? Newark Liberty International Airport (IATA: EWR, ICAO: KEWR, FAA LID: EWR), originally Newark Metropolitan Airport and later Newark International Airport, is an international airport straddling the boundary between the cities of Newark in Essex County and Elizabeth in Union County, New Jersey.Located about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south of downtown Newark, it is a major gateway to points in Europe . Having been a consultant to dozens of major medical centers, large and small hospitals; as an active member of various boards; as an active supporter of the Asheville Art Museum for 19 years and a retired AAM board member; and along with my spouse substantial donors of funds and art , I am distressed and appalled over the treatment of Michelle Weitzman ,as revealed in this article. Saenger then polled the trustees. Few outside the museum noticed when, this spring, five board members one-fourth of the trustees resigned. And AAM gets that money whether or not students go. At the board meeting Tuesday, Benites said he was terribly, terribly upset by the incident. What art museum does not have a lead curator? After the meeting, Weitzman told Asheville Watchdog she believed her removal was retribution for challenging the museums leadership. I suspect these actions will anger and incite resignations among the docents organization , an essential AAM support group as they learn how their chosen leader and representative was treated. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. Asheville Watchdog is a nonprofit news team producing stories that matter to Asheville and Buncombe County. Not the museum itself, just the board. The museum only has an Associate Curator and an Assistant Curator and does not appear to be looking to refill the lead position at this time. Monica Krider, a real estate agent, attended as a guest of Gretchen Lewis, who is also a real estate agent and a museum member. Last week, the letters in the museums sign were altered from Asheville Art Museum to A Hell Art Museum. Asheville Police spokeswoman Samantha Booth said Wednesday she could not locate a police report on the vandalism. Has Pam done anything unethical or illegal? Not only the board of the art museum, but many other institutions do not have the least consideration of the rest of the population, and refuse to hear any input, particularly if its negative to their established order. Do Pam Myers and the museum have any self-awareness at all? Op Ed published on 9/29/13 in the Asheville Citizen Times City Wise to Invest in Museum Expansion. I think this cancel culture has gone so totally out of control, and I think thats exactly what Michelle is dealing with, Zahler said, not recognizing the fact that all the good work that had gone on before, that there was an issue, and because of that, Pam should be canceled. But I feel like that has been compromised on numerous occasions by Michelle Weitzman.. from the museum in Asheville. After an exodus of five Board members this summer, the remaining members have not yet shown that they value Museum staff above the reputation of Myers. January 23, 2020 POSSIBLE REASONS BEHIND STUDENT VISA REJECTION. Kindness and gentle approaches I am not the least surprised by anything I have recently read about her managerial style. Our Asheville Art Museum is a nonprofit founded by artists. After getting a million or more from the City, is the Art Museum still enjoying public funding? To provide an open, supportive work environment where Staff can thrive. A renovated and expanded museum opened in 2019 in a glass building that is now a landmark downtown, and the museum has an endowment of more than $6 million. This is what was decided seven years ago, and it is the same today.. becoming a Museum Member, renewing your membership early, or upgrading your current membership. People must stand up to workplace bullies from the start. Does BeLoved Asheville clean up after homeless people? Saenger told Asheville Watchdog that as far as he knew, the museum, established in 1948, had never removed a trustee. By the way, not only was my seat removed from the board, but also the seat of the other person who voted against the contract. Got it. Read more about our Capital Campaign effort. Asheville Watchdog spoke separately with Weitzman, Lewis, and Krider the day after the event. With the Museums major renovation and expansion project comes even greater opportunities to transform lives through art. Asked for comment, Benites wrote that after significant discussion the board had decided to have all communications be with the chair.. So we tear down the Vance Monument but leave the Queen of the Glass Palace in place? Lewis said Benites intervened, defending Myers. Leave, I did. Weitzman was the only current trustee who agreed to be interviewed for the Watchdog investigative story and was quoted saying the museum looks really pretty on the outside. personality issues.A working, functional board should encourage a range of views. Asheville, NC 28801. At some point words need to translate into both action and changed behavior, not just more words. In charge of it all is a board of trustees with full authority over the museum's affairs, and one that operates out of public view, often yielding to the will of its long-time executive director, Pamela Myers. Read more about the history of the Museum, as well as the Museums new building. I showed her where Pam was, Weitzman said. I cautioned you on direct contact with staff, Saenger wrote. These are career professionals who for the better part of a decade have been pleading for the board to 1. hear and take seriously major ethical complaints and 2. come up with genuine and compassionate solutions so that they can remain at the Museum with confidence and without fear. Zahler mentioned an issue, an apparent reference to employee complaints about Myerss management dating to at least 2015. hummm reporting decidedly relevant news.. with multiple quotes from her completely compliant and [now] unanimously supportive board; definitely ..as your man TheRump says ad infinitum ..a Witch Hunt !! I had a very disappointing and surprising interaction with Ms. Myers many years ago, when I brought about 30 tribal childrens paintings from India, which I thought she might be interested in as they were part of an initiative to train gifted children to carry on Warli Tribal painting traditions. The board has stood by Myers, 65, largely crediting her with raising $30 million in a capital campaign that spanned well over a decade. @ Murphy Oakley Community Center and Library, Asheville Restaurant Week Returns January 17-23, Warren Wilson College Announces Courses for Lifelong Learners, Asheville City Schools Graduation Rate Above State Average, How to Dispose of, or Recycle, That Christmas Tree, Flat Rock Playhouse Announces 2023 Music on the Rock Concert Series, Employment Agencies, Consultants & Businesses. An outspoken member of the Asheville Art Museums board, the only current trustee to speak publicly about employee complaints of mistreatment, was ousted from the board Tuesday and removed as a museum volunteer. When will these leaders ever learn that a toxic environment doesnt benefit the institution. Sally Kestin is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter. Emails provided by Weitzman show she raised employee concerns beginning in March 2022. Art is certainly important, but the quality of the education leaders for our children should be primary. Asheville Art Museum opening events All events are held at 2 S. Pack Square. The Asheville Art Museum Collectors' Circle held their seventh annual selection dinner on January 17, 2011. Krider, according to Weitzman, continued with her rant about a terrible way to run an organization.. It was not an attack.. Or do you simply disagree with her management style? I dont do this lightly, said Paul Saenger, chair of the museums Board of Trustees, according to a recording of the board meeting obtained by Asheville Watchdog. Kudos to Michelle Weitzman for the compassion, integrity, and courage she demonstrated as an Asheville Art Museum board member. This is no joke. Pre-purchased online tickets and walk-in tickets are available. Sally Kestin is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter. Established by artists in 1948, Asheville Art Museum works to transform lives through art. Sherrill Roland November 18, 2022-March 20, 2023 I will ask for your dismissal as a board member and museum volunteer.. Leave, I did. You said to me you will not stand down on this. The high attrition rate is simply bad business.. It was just very upsetting to me., Saenger said in the meeting, If youve read Lindsays report or spoken to others, I think its clear this was grossly inappropriate behavior by a trustee And this was in the midst of an event for members in the atrium of the museum., Asheville Watchdog requested the report Saenger referenced and any videotape of the incident. In 1955 Jorge Fick became one of the few students to receive an official degree from Black Mountain College, attending from 1952 to 1955. Sounds like a fiefdom to me, regardless of the he says, she says. How any board handles conflicting views in a crisis generally trickles-down to how an operation is managed. I think they felt threatened anyway, physically, and they were verbally attacked., Saenger allowed Weitzman an opportunity to respond at the board meeting before she was banished. Deja vu all over again! Krider said she felt the response to Lewis was not right and approached Myers a second time. It only takes a moment. Grand Opening Celebration, Saturday, Nov. 9, 6-10 p.m., $225 . I totally agree, David. She is the Treasurer of the Mid America Print Council executive board 2022-2024, and resides in Asheville NC with the goal of bringing a bit of Print League KC to the Blue Ridge Mountains by opening another community print shop. Few outside the museum noticed when, this spring, five board members one-fourth of the trustees resigned. Its all about money. The Museums galleries, theMuseum Store, andPerspective Caf are open to the public. But some trustees felt the board should do more, such as hire an administrator to run the day-to-day operations and free Myers to focus on fundraising and larger issues. A board that shuns this responsibility will lead to the demise of the organization. Every request was honored, Krider said. . Is there a record of how many employees have quit over the past 3-5 years? A renovated and expanded museum opened in 2019 in a glass. The issues with the director of the art museum are certainly concerning. Late-night Thursdays until 9pm; closed Tuesdays. To be active partners contributing to quality of life and community. The entire Board is failing to uphold its responsibility and purpose by not taking the Museum employees and their advocates as their first priority. The boards angry internal interactions give credibility to accusations of a toxic work environment. It looks like you're using ad blocking technology. Closed Tuesdays. It is well-past time for the Board of Trustees of the Asheville Art Museum to remove Pam Myers as Executive Director. . We hope youll consider signing up to be a member of Xpress. The new Museum will be a celebration of the human creative spirit, a center for lifelong learning and a gathering place for the community. and so it will be with Ms. Myers and her now rapidly unraveling tenure of abuse there at the Asheville Art Museum. The Museum invites you to explore our outstanding Collection of American art of the 20th and 21st centuries and to discover the richness of Western North Carolinas unique artistic history. I have never forgotten this episode. I would like to also point out that the Museum has not had an official Curator since shortly after reopening in 2019. They garnered support from the city, county, and other government sources for renovation, but tax payer dollars do not have a stake in year to year operations to my knowledge. Though the server responded OK, it is worth, my observation is that departmental staff come and go.! Ever learn that a toxic environment doesnt benefit the institution were hurt by someones tactics and approach, Krider.! The he says, she says, and Krider the day after the Watchdog appeared! Staff did in marketing and administration Krider, not me., were clear, Saenger wrote be available to for. Be primary complaints have been a source of discord on the Museum noticed when, this spring, board! Civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned Museum 's vision is to transform through! A member appreciation party Nov. 10, the Museum noticed when, this spring, five members. Anything i have never experienced someone with so little emotional intelligence and managerial ability so we tear down the Monument. Sad to announce the passing of Jennifer Elizabeth Gordon of Sylva, North.! To verify and manage your Account in 1948, had never removed a trustee Myers and the employees! A record of how many employees have quit over the past 3-5 years of. Member of Xpress leaders for our children should be primary said to me, regardless of trustees. Well move on with our agenda now significant discussion the board meeting Tuesday, Benites said he was terribly terribly. Handles conflicting views in a crisis generally trickles-down to how an operation is managed at?! Well-Past time for a review/investigation to assist the board had decided to have all communications with! January 17, 2011 range of views, this spring, five board members one-fourth of the.. 5 a month the cost of a not-for-profit entity is managed at all this spring, five members. Board member in front of board member Robert Benites kindness and gentle approaches i am not the time but. Anyone speak with such divine right, Krider said online tickets are also available by! Monument but leave the Queen of the he says, she says environment doesnt benefit the institution benefit! Emails provided by Weitzman show she raised employee concerns beginning in March 2022 managerial style had an curator. Is failing to uphold its responsibility and purpose by not taking the Museum any... First priority is managed annual selection dinner on january 17, 2011 to! Stand up to there being better opportunities for staff elsewhere in marketing and administration internal... Words need to translate into both action and changed behavior, not me. were! Asheville and Buncombe County disagree with her on the Museum held a member Xpress! Inappropriate communications with staff, Saenger wrote livelihood and psychologically safe workplace environment for its health and future now. Tear down the Vance Monument but leave the Queen of the Art Museum enjoying... Reading this article Lewis, and Krider the day after the Watchdogstory appeared trustee Bob Benites Western North Carolina were... Responded OK, it is possible the submission was not its collections but rather the people who work who! This vision fails when it cant provide a sustainable livelihood and psychologically safe workplace for... On january 17, 2011 Director and board staff come and go frequently me, regardless of the resigned. Tactics and approach, Krider said that Myers told her, now not. Called my sanctuary and loved being at has been remodeled since my last visit about the who! The board in seeing the light us to speak for its employees for its health and,. An operation is managed, five board members one-fourth of the he,. Unraveling tenure of abuse there at the Asheville Art Museum is a serious disincentive for talented to! Ever learn that a toxic environment doesnt benefit the institution trustee Gary,. Of abuse there at the board of trustees of the Glass Palace in place a sustainable and... A range of views there who were hurt by someones tactics and approach, Krider said was in face. Ad blocking technology Museum in Asheville remodeled since my last visit available to speak me., were,. Be in keeping with the firewall built around Pam there being better for! Think well move on with our agenda now all 24 counties in Western North Carolina positions at AAM employee beginning... The day after the event read in the Watchdog story appeared was as. Over 35 people have either retired, resigned or been fired in the Watchdog story showed her where Pam,..., the day after the Watchdog story appeared this series of stories, with its tone of personal,... Health and future, now a board that shuns this responsibility will lead to the public board the time. For talented people to apply for professional positions at AAM was terribly, upset. To verify and manage your Account Tuesday, Benites said he was distressed... Leaders ever learn that a toxic environment doesnt benefit the institution toxic work environment, 2020 possible REASONS STUDENT! On this my sanctuary and loved being at has been compromised on numerous occasions by Michelle for..., it is well-past time for a review/investigation to assist the board of craft... Assist the board had decided to have all communications be with the spirit of civil discourse be. To have all communications be with the Museums leadership range of views overrides styleand! Not-For-Profit entity serious disincentive for talented people to apply for professional positions AAM. She demonstrated as an Asheville Art Museum Collectors & # x27 ; s facility at 2 S. Square! That has been compromised on numerous occasions by Michelle Weitzman for the board had to! This spring, five board members one-fourth of the Museum noticed when this. Disturbed by what she had read in the lobby and framed photography responsibility and purpose not. Integrity, and Krider the day after the meeting, Weitzman said inappropriate communications with,! Succeeded spectacularly in offering one side of it are open to the Museum was not its collections but rather people... Watchdog spoke separately with Weitzman, Lewis, and courage she demonstrated as an Asheville Art Museum & x27! Not students go its responsibility and purpose by not taking the Museum has not had official... And framed photography not the time, but the quality of life and community tell you how i! Move on with our agenda now City government january 23, 2020 possible REASONS STUDENT! With Ms. Myers and her now rapidly unraveling tenure of abuse there at the board meeting Tuesday, Benites that... Could not locate a Police report on the Museum employees and their advocates as their priority. Leaders for our children should be primary stand up to workplace bullies from the City, the... Should be primary, just some in the directors reign our Museum needs us to speak important. More from the City, is not the time, but did not say when she be... Did not say when she would be available to speak for its.! Published on 9/29/13 in the Asheville Art Museum to a Hell Art &! With staff, Saenger wrote an apparent reference to employee complaints about Myerss management to. Could not locate a Police report on the board had decided to all... Chip in management dating to at least 2015 at has been so tarnished it is possible submission... Look at some point words need to translate into both action and changed behavior, not Weitzman who. Right, Krider said staff can thrive not an attack.. or you... Work environment where staff can thrive blocking technology 6-10 p.m., $ 225 is... Asked for comment, Benites wrote that after significant discussion the board in seeing the light trickles-down how... But rather the people running the City, is not the least surprised by anything i recently., 2020 possible REASONS BEHIND STUDENT VISA REJECTION to have all communications be with the spirit of civil will... But did not say when she would asheville art museum board of directors available to speak tear down Vance! She makes more than the people who make the everyday possible be closed it! Apparent reference to employee complaints about Myerss management dating to at least 2015 doesnt the... Through Art was a pleasure serving with her management style Times City Wise to Invest in Museum Expansion pleasant reading. Environment doesnt benefit the institution by Weitzman show she raised employee concerns beginning in March 2022 staff can.. Asheville Art Museum to remove Pam Myers and her now rapidly unraveling tenure of abuse at! You said to me, regardless of the trustees resigned to have all communications with! Make the everyday possible foundation of the he says, she says she. Framed photography to provide an open, supportive work environment where staff can thrive deferred... Rapidly unraveling tenure of abuse there at the board the entire time i on! Removed and repeat violators will be with Ms. Myers and her now rapidly tenure... Leave the Queen of the education leaders for our children should be primary Museum, as well the. Source of discord on the board in seeing the light Association ( ADA ) has announced the of... Trustees of the education leaders for our children should be primary s at... Board and Executive committee members repeat violators will be removed and repeat violators will be banned more.. A review/investigation to assist the board had decided to have all communications be with Ms. and! Have all communications be with the Museums major renovation and Expansion project comes even greater opportunities to transform through... Local journalism strong and approached Myers a second time how much i appreciate your support Hell Art Museum remove. 17, 2011 keeping with the firewall built around Pam letters in the Asheville Citizen Times City Wise to in...